Saturday, August 13, 2011

How do you deal with this when you draw outside &/or in a public place?

Sorry my last post cut off, I was gonna say I find it weird to draw from life outside, and have people crowd around to look at what im doing. I m pretty sure its just my insecurity. How do you deal with this when you draw outside &/or in a public place?

Actually, I am a very shy person but I believe in turning my insecurities and inadequacies into motivating factors. Along with my irrational fear of messing up in front of people, comes a shot of adrenaline and some sort of perverse excitement that most often leads me to perform at my best, I'm drawing scared and excited at the same time.

Knowing that at one point or another I will have to draw in front of people, makes me want to learn and practice even more. It's not that I have a lot of confidence, it's just that I don't want to look like I don't know what I'm doing.

As a young adult living n NYC, I used to love the subways as the best place to draw strangers. I never had a problem in there because New Yorkers don't bother you, they don't care what goes on around them, they mind their own business. If you see someone staring at you while you're drawing, there's a good chance that person is a tourist.