Monday, January 25, 2010

Thought of The Day Jan 25, 2010

Five-Step-Solution for those who find it intimidating to fill a 100-page sketchbook: 

Step 2- Go to the last page of the blank spiral sketchbook and open it wide. Pry the wire loops open carefully, one at a time. 

Remove 80 sheets and close the gaps. Now you only have 20 sheets to draw in and the book is not so intimidating. 

Once you fill those, add another 10 or 20 sheets until your fear is gone forever!




F.U.  True story: (no donkeys this time)
Throughout my adolescence, friends and family members who knew I liked to draw, gave me all kinds of sketchbooks as gifts.

Generally, I couldn't wait to break them in but inevitably I ended up drawing in just a few pages and putting them away. So I have all these sketchbooks with one or two drawings and not much else. 

Fear of failure, fear of success, fear of anatomy, fear of ruining the book. Fear is a powerful thing. Remember: "Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering, suffering leads to ugly drawings"

Back then I used to envy those compulsive sketchers. Me? I used to draw once a week and sometimes (when I got funky) I wouldn't pick up a pencil in months, so I know how that feels. Fear can paralyze you unless you take action and beat it.

Once I destroyed my fear of failure, the sky was the limit. I fear nothing and no one now, not even myself :)